Monday, July 1, 2019

Phase Spiders - Citadel aethermatic blue contrast paint

It has been a long time since I posted something but here I am back on line :)

Last week I discovered something at my friendly local game store, the "new" Citadel contrast paint line.
A lot of you, are for sure already "on the loop" about this new line of paints. For me, as I said, it was the first time I saw them. I was just there, looking into the array of Citadel paints and saw this kind of inks-looking pots label as "contrast" and there, in the middle of them, there was this particular pot with a turquoise colour called Aethermatic blue, which is funny as it looked as the kind of greenish-blueish colour I was having in mind to paint some wraiths or ghosts that I should have somewhere at home...
Anyway I asked my friend at the shop and got a short explanation about the general idea behind, so I got the one pot of this green-blue "ink" and went home with the idea to try it on my ghostly miniatures; alas they were not to be found ;)
So, change of plans, what about some ghostly looking phase spiders like the ones which attacked us on a dark forest some time ago in our D&D 2nd Ed. campaign?; oh yeap, why not ?

I watched some video on you tube about the new contrast paints and read some reviews wherein the different final tone obtained in function of the colour of the initial primer was discussed, specially liked this one:


with this picture of a big brute using the same colour I was planing to use:


Obviously the guy doing that cool stuff is far way better than me, but the colour looked so great that it gave me a very nice initial feeling about it.

Ok, without more bla,bla,bla; here are my two phase spiders:

The one on the left was primed with Army Painter Skeleton Bone primer  whereas the one on the right was primed with a generic, non-miniatures specific, light grey primer.
Since, the Skeleton Bone colour is a kind of very soft beige, the left spider is more in the greenish side of the turquoise colour than the one in the right (basically beige is a lot of white, a bit of yellow and a hint of red and a hint of blue; therefore this primer is "adding" more yellow to the turquoise which, itself, is blue with a hint of yellow. More yellow moves the turquoise therefore towards green).
Anyway, that is the final outcome and here is a comparison with the unpainted model and the colours I used on each model:

The Game Color Dead White (72.001) I used it for the underbelly of the spiders, on both of them, directly over the primer and under the aetermatic contrast layer to achieve a lighter colour underneath.
Here there are some close ups of both models.
The one on the left (Skeleton Bone primer, more greenish):




And the one on the right (grey primer, more blueish):



I will try to post a step by step with all the photos I took just for the sake of it, but I hope you got the general idea.

My conclusion:
The new line of paints are awesome.
I am not a miniature painter by far. I keep trying to do it, to learn how to it since Warhammer Fantasy 3rd Edition and I am really not good at it. My point being, even some one like me was able to produce something like this on a very short time. I invested some minutes here and there during the last three or four days, maybe a total of one hour, maybe a bit more and to me the final outcome is great.

What next:
Well, wondering what will happend if I put some light red/pink over the grey primer and then apply the aethermatic blue to get a soft purple... (or a ugly brown...)
Maybe a red wash after/before the aethermatic blue over grey primer...

As you can see I am liking it :) :)

For more about the effect of background colour on the final hue of the contrast paints check this really awesome video:



I really loved the Dragon painted with the Magos Purple.

This was for today :)

No comments: